Sensitive skin is unpredictable, and can easily react to a number of different products and substances. While it’s crucial to address skin reactions, it’s also key to identify the culprits first and keep them at bay. Follow our steps below to ensure you keep your complexion calm and even.
Defining sensitive skin
As you know by now, every person’s skin is unique – whether it’s normal, dry, oily, dehydrated and/or ageing, your skin can also be sensitive. If you experience some slight burning sensation, tingling or anything unpleasant when your skin is exposed to new substances, chances are your skin has certain sensitivities.
Sensitive skin generally reacts to a collection of factors. The standard classifications for skin irritants are physical (external factors like heat), chemical (pollutants, soaps, detergents and even water), and hormonal or stress-related.
Interestingly, sensitive skin is not limited to the face but also extends to the rest of the body.
What to do
- Follow a simple skincare routine. Make sure you don’t change it up too quickly or overdo it with excessive products. You want your skin to feel comfortable, supple and to prevent flare-ups.
- Choose products with very gentle formulations that will reduce irritation and inflammation. The aim is to help your skin restore its natural balance by itself.
- Look out for skincare ingredients that have been proven to be effective in reducing inflammation and keeping your skin happy.
- Avoid heavily fragranced products and harsh detergents.
- If your skin is highly reactive, it’s wise to perform a patch test 48 hours before using any product across all your skin. This will help predicting your skin tolerance for the product.
- Give your skin a break for a couple of days. No make-up, no complicated routine. It’s one of the best methods to get your skin to reset and recharge!
Our tried and tested product recommendation
Cleanse without irritation: AEOS Gentle Cleansing Lotion
Protect and unify: Mia Höytö LUMOUS Nurturing Serum
Soothe lips: Skin & Tonic Naked lip balm
Repair dry areas: Santaverde Aloë Vera Body lotion sensitive
Have an amazing day!
The Bloom Avenue team
Visit our boutique